If you’ve been following us for a while, you probably already know – and if you’re a newbie, you will soon find out: we LOVE the Cook Islands.
When we travel, we want to be enriched. We want to experience something new that changes our perspective. We don’t want just another postcard worthy location – we want it all. We really think the Cook Islands are the gem of the South Pacific, offering a luxurious, exotic escape that’s closer than you think. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Incredible beauty
- The Cook Islands are filled with amazing sights – not the least of which happens to be Aitutaki Lagoon. Renowned as the most beautiful lagoon in the world, it has garnered praise from many journalists, including the Senior Editor of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition, MJ Day, who says “…hands down Aitutaki is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen in my life.” When you get tired of lounging by the azure waters (ha! Yeah right!) you can head inland and explore the lush peaks and ridges of the once almighty volcanic pyramid that formed the islands.
- It’s a 9-hour direct flight from LAX. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been on family road trips that exceed that amount of travel time – and feel INFINITELY longer. Unlike most locations in the South Pacific, you won’t cross the international date line on your way to the Cooks. Sleep on the overnight flight and you’ll be ready to go when you arrive on the ground in the morning. You won’t feel trapped in one spot in Rarotonga, the whole island is essentially your resort. With easy access to transportation and a welcoming environment, you’ll have the freedom to roam, eat in a different restaurant every night, and truly experience the culture.
- Warm culture and hospitality
- Speaking of culture, the Cook Islands most certainly will not disappoint. Being surrounded by a vibrant, contemporary Polynesian culture, you’ll have no problem interacting with the locals. You can hop on board any of the many cultural tours and learn more about how these wonderful people came to be.
- Boutique paradise
- The Cook Islands offer the most bang for your buck in the South Pacific. Everywhere you look, you’ll see boutique family owned and operated resorts, restaurants, and tours. From “live like a local” holiday homes to full-service 5 star resorts, there is an accommodation for every desired experience. But don’t expect to find any highrise hotels – you won’t see any buildings higher than a coconut palm. There are a plethora of food choices, tipping is not expected and tax is included in meal prices. You’ll be excited by how rich your experience becomes when it’s steeped in authenticity.
Good people, natural beauty, vibrant culture, unique and luxurious accommodations, and endless opportunities for fun. That’s the Cook Islands in a nutshell. But don’t just take our word for it – see for yourself. You won’t regret it!
P.S. The only way to make a trip to the Cook Islands better is to add on a stopover in New Zealand. You’ll get two bucket list trips in one at two diverse destinations that will cover any landscape or activity you could want. Win-win! Call one of our travel agents today to start planning your own custom trip!